Samuel and Jane Currey

1. A Letter of Dismissal from 3rd Presbyterian Church in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I hereby certify that the bearer thereof, Samuel Currey and his wife Jane have been members of the Third Congregation in Belfast from its erection, to the date of November, 1727, and have behaved themselves soberly and Christianly, free from all public scandal known to us, and were admitted to all church privileges as occasion offered, so that we have great freedom to recommend them to the good acceptance of any Christian Society where Divine Providence may order their lot. Subscribed, in the absence of our minister, at Belfast, this 6th day of June, 1729.

Robert Blair

Sessions Clerk

2. He is listed as a yeoman, which meant in all likelihood that he was a free landowner.

3. He purchased land in New London Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, on May 26, 1750.

4. There is a death listed as April 21, 1758 in Chester County. We have no record of Jane’s death.             

5. He and Jane are listed as having, in one document, three sons, Samuel, Ezekiel, and John. In another document they have six sons, adding Moses, Robert, and James. These are also the names of his grandsons from his son John. This may account for the confusion.

6. Jane is listed only as Jane in some sources and as Elizabeth (Eliza) Jane in another. Since it was a practice in this family to carry given names and matriarchal names through the generations, we find one of John’s daughters is named “Jane” and one of Robert Brownlee’s daughters is named “Jane Elizabeth.” John’s son John II had daughters named “Jane” and “Elizabeth.” Based on the frequency of the names, more than likely, Jane was a first name and Elizabeth a second. We may never find out her surname.  We find the maiden names of Brownlee and Owen used over and over. As far as the number of children by Samuel and Jane, it is quite possible that the others are real sons or close relatives. Moses, for example, is listed as a private in Captain John Ramsey’s Company in the Revolutionary War and having been born “on the Ocean” in 1733. In The Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania Biography published in 1915. The name is also spelled without the “e.” This Moses married Sarah Moore, born in 1736 in Pennsylvania.


Ezekiel Currey

Ezekiel was at Alamance: He was listed as Ezekiel Cure on the regulator list. His brother John was listed as John Curey on the list. Others on the list include most of the Nashville founders such as James Robertson and a Cartwright. Unable to find any records on Elizabeth’s family but Brownlees were quite numerous in the Ulster community in Pennsylvania and in Northern Ireland registers and in Scotland, especially at Torfoot, Scotland. Undoubtedly Robert Brownlee Currey was named after her father and the Brownlee name was used by many other generations.

Ezekiel fought at the battle of Guilford and was wounded, according to his son.

Moved again to Middle Tennessee along with other members of his family

Died and was buried at Nolensville in Williamson County.


Regulator movement


Regulator movement, designation for two groups, one in South Carolina, the other in North Carolina, that tried to effect governmental changes in the 1760s. In South Carolina, the Regulator movement was an organized effort by backcountry settlers to restore law and order and establish institutions of local government. Plagued by roving bands of outlaws and angered by the assembly's failure to provide the western counties with courts and petty officers, the leading planters, supported by small farmers, created (1767) an association to regulate backcountry affairs. They brought criminals to justice and set up courts to resolve legal disputes. The assembly and the governor, recognizing the legitimacy of the grievances, did not attempt to crush the movement. By 1768, order was restored, and the Circuit Court Act of 1769, providing six court districts for the backcountry, led the Regulators to disband. The movement in W North Carolina, with different causes, arose at the same time. Led by small farmers protesting the corruption and extortionate practices of sheriffs and court officials, the Regulators, strongest in Orange, Granville, Halifax, and Anson counties, at first petitioned (1764–65) the assembly to recall its officers. When this failed, they formed (1768) an association pledged to pay only legal taxes and fees and to abide by the will of the majority. They won control of the provincial assembly in 1769, but with Gov. William Tryon, the provincial council, and the courts against them they were unable to secure relief. At first orderly, the Regulators resorted to acts of violence (especially at Hillsboro) after Edmund Fanning, a particularly despised official, was allowed to go unpunished. Those actions alienated large property holders and the clergy from the movement. On May 16, 1771, Tryon's militia completely routed a large body of Regulators in the battle of Alamance Creek. Seven of the leaders were executed, and the movement collapsed. One group of Regulators moved west to Tennessee, where they helped form the Watauga Association, but most of them submitted. Tensions remained, however, between the western farmers and the tidewater.


The Battle of Alamance

The battle began on May 16 after the Regulators rejected Tryon's suggestion that they disperse peacefully. Lacking leadership, organization, and adequate arms and ammunition, the Regulators were no match for Tryon's militia. Many Regulators fled, leaving their bolder comrades to fight on.

The rebellion of the Regulators was crushed. Nine members of the king's militia were killed and 61 wounded. The Regulator losses were much greater, though exact numbers are unknown. Tryon took 15 prisoners; seven were hung later. Many Regulators moved on to other frontier areas beyond North Carolina. Those who stayed were offered pardons by the governor in exchange for pledging an oath of allegiance to the royal government.

The War of the Regulation illustrates how dissatisfied much of the population was during the days before the American Revolution. The boldness displayed by reformers opposed to royal authority provided a lesson in the use of armed resistance, which patriots employed a few short years later in the American War for Independence.





The Perkins Letter by Robert Brownlee Currey

This is a transcript of a letter written by Robert Brownlee Currey to his son Richard Owen Currey on May 12, 1845 in which he describes the books ( Perkins Works) that have been in the family since the 1600s. He also gives us an insight into his childhood in North Carolina during the Revolutionary War years.


 These volumes of Perkins’ works have descended in the family through generations unknown, The first volume appears to have been written in 1592 and printed in Cambridge in 1605. The spelling conforms to the ancient orthography. The text will be found to differ from our present translation, being previous to the translation done by “special command of James I of England.”

                As this is a piece of antiquity rare in family libraries, some history of its preservation and also of its present stained condition, connected with past events may be satisfactory, especially to posterity. Its first appearance within my recollection was in one volume strongly bound in buff leather with two brass clasps to secure it in front. It was highly esteemed by my father as an orthodox work. I have been informed that the whole 954 pages now embraced in this first volume was likewise originally bound in one volume; and that what is now included in the second volume came to hand in numbers as they issued from the London Press in 1606—My father in 1767 had the whole bound in one volume as appears by a memorandum of that date to the binder on a blank leaf.—As an apology for its present stained condition, I can speak from memory, though as the reminiscence of days of early childhood,--corroborated by what I have since heard from the elder branches of the family, During the revolutionary war my father lived in a part of North Carolina (Randolph County) that turned out many more Tories than Whigs and the country was often over run by Brittons, Hessians and Tories, who plundered and destroyed the property of all who bore the name of Whig wherever they went, and as a precaution against those depredations, the Whigs found it necessary to conceal their most valuable property. Our presses were not as prolific in those days in furnishing the reading world with books as at present. Patent presses, steam presses and stereotypes were unknown; indeed it was a rare thing to see a book printed on this side of the Atlantic. It is true the demand was limited, but those who had valuable books and could read them, esteemed them far above their cost; and without irreverence they might have been called their household gods. This valuable book with others and other household goods were deposited in a stable, the clay being first excavated, like an old fashioned potato hole, the contents carefully boxed up, covered, leveled over of a top dressing straw and thus the precious contents were abandoned to their fate. Like Moses in the little ark, no one being allowed to go near them lest some lurking spy should be watching their movements. As the war was conducted with various success, a brighter day soon appeared (I think Colos. Washington and Lee were then scouring the country) but unfortunately for the hidden treasure, a gust of wind and rain in the meantime had unroofed the stable and partially drenched every thing; and this venerable book notwithstanding its strong binding and brass clasps was not proof against the searching elements; but like Jeremiahs girdle hid in the hole at Euphrates, “Behold it was marred,” Being then 6 or 7 years old it as quite amusing to me to see books of paper opened to the sun and their leaves fluttering to the wind; but being prohibited from entering the precincts allotted to them, and my father looking unusually vexed, was a damper to my spirits. Amongst the exciting scenes of those days I have not forgotten a vicious horse that maliciously run over me; and how well pleased I was when a plundering party from the British army carried him off. This old Book awakens many recollections of those perilous times and bygone years, I heard the report of the cannon fired at the battle of Guilford (March 1781) Witnessed the distress of my mother, her prayers for the unfortunate sufferers and for the success of our cause. A few weeks after this I saw an engagement between a company of mounted volunteers and a much larger force of Tories and Hessians. This commenced in full view (deep river between) and as they approached within gunshot, my mother very prudently sent the Children to the opposite side of the house; but curiosity prompted me to take my station where I could peep past the corner and I was delighted with the caps and feather of our volunteers, their rapid movements and the reports of guns. The Tory Captain was killed and several of his men. Indeed they suffered a complete defeat and rout. In the infamy and fate of this Captain (Frankland) there is an admonitory lesson to be beware selfish aggrandizement, ambition and pride, where patriotism and love of country alone ought to be the governing principle—He had professed great patriotism and devotion to the defense of his country and had offered as a candidate to command this same company of horse; but they choosing to elect another, he therefore lost all of his patriotism, enrolled some Tories and went to the British army, where he obtained a commission from King George and a recruit of Hessians. With this large company he carried on his depredations, not forgetting to avenge himself on those who had refused him the command; for the night before their defeat, thirsting for blood and plunder they entered the neighborhood during a thunderstorm, but while in pursuit of their first intended victim, became alarmed and fled, By day light the company of Whigs were on their trail (nearly obliterated by the rain) and after following round a circuit of some 20 or 30 miles and witnessing the depredations committed in their flight, overtook and defeated them about noon (as above stated) and within a few miles of the starting point. I saw my father bleeding and drenched with blood from wounds inflicted by a Tory’s sword, with a severe cut over the head, a finger severed from his hand and others nearly so, from fending off a blow aimed at his neck. The Tories from their numbers soon had the ascendancy, -this small company of Whigs were dispersed, -my father made his way into Guilford (April or May 1781). The family followed in the fall and we settled in that part of Guilford which afterwards fell into the new county of Rockingham. We soon after this were gratified with the news of the capture of the British Army at Yorktown.

                Having partly from memory and partly from tradition given a brief sketch of those troublesome times, which may show that civil war is one of greatest evils that can befall a country—neighbor arrayed against neighbor- depredations, retaliations and cruel revenge follow till little or no quarter is given and a deadly enemy is dreaded from behind every bush, I now return to the book and to say something of ancestry.

                Our remote ancestors were of Scotland and spelled their name Currie comfortable to the ancient orthography. Those who emigrated to Ireland, afterwards to suit the Irish pronunciation of the name and also in conformity with the change of orthography substituting “y” or “ey” in words terminating with “ie” spelled the name Corry, Correy, and others Curry, Currey.   

                My grandfather sailed from Belfast for America in the year 1729 as appears from Certificate from the Presbyterians Church of June 1729 recommendatory of Samuel

Currey and his wife Jane, now in my possession. He purchased land in Chester County Pennsylvania and settled as a farmer and country merchant (Note-In Whiteley Creek

Congregation [White Clay] the oldest in the colony.) My father succeeded him in business, was unsuccessful, failed and removed to North Carolina, Randolph County

Near the close of the war he moved to Haw River as already stated and some years after at a good old age. This book suffered in those removing and journeying and

after my father’s death by passing through several hands, it came to me almost destitute of care and confusedly misplaced. I was truly sorry to see an old friend and

preceptor of my father in such plight; and desiring its presentation as a memento, of ancestry as well as an account of its great antiquity, I carefully and patiently arranged

the detached parts and loose leaves and sent it, with instructions to the binder in 1836 where they were bound in two volumes under the direction of the Rev. James Smith.


. This brief history was written at the request of my son Richard Owen Currey M.D.

                May 12, 1845                                                 Nashville, Tenn.

                                                                           Rob. B. Currey


The volumes are now in the possession of George H. Currey, Sr.


RICHARD OWEN CURREY 18161865 Son of Robert Brownlee Currey and Jane Grey Owen Currey


Richard O. Currey, the first person with an earned doctorate to teach science at what is now the University of Tennessee, was a prolific author, an innovative educator, and a newsworthy minister. A Nashville native, Currey graduated from the University of Nashville in 1836. He taught at Nashville Female Academy and volunteered with the Tennessee Geological Survey.

Currey studied medicine at Transylvania University in 1837 38 before working under Dr. Thomas Reid Jennings in Davidson County. Currey received his M.D. in 1840 from the University of Pennsylvania. He returned to Nashville, resumed his medical career, and rejoined the Geological Survey. In 1842 he married Rachel Jackson Eastin.

Four years later, Currey became Professor of Chemistry, Experimental Philosophy, and Natural History at East Tennessee University in Knoxville. He introduced laboratory instruction in botany and modernized science education. Currey supplemented his salary by practicing medicine and publishing an almanac. He left the university in September 1850 to accept a better paid professorship at the University of Nashville. He returned to medicine as a livelihood, however, when cholera epidemics and financial problems forced the closing of the school.

In 1851 Currey published two issues of the Southern Agriculturist as well as a second almanac, which advertised his new business, an apothecary shop called Chemical Hall. In 1852 Currey join the State Medical Association, chairing a committee on the adulteration of drugs and another on medical botany. He also helped plan the Southern Journal of the Medical and Physical Sciences. I began publication in January 1853, with four coeditors, but became Currey's journal. Over five years, Currey offered fifty seven major articles on regional geology, medical practice, and other topics. He also wrote brief reports, editorials, and book reviews. He authored a laudable book on the geology of Tennessee and one on the geology of western Virginia.

By May 1853 Currey was involved in the construction of a hospital in Knoxville. At the same time he unsuccessfully sought an appointment as state geologist. When the appointment failed to materialize, Currey relocated to Knoxville, taking the Southern Journal with him. He practiced medicine with an emphasis in gynecology and became associated with Dr. B. F. Frazier in the establishment of the School of Medicine and Surgery for Private Instruction. Currey was a leader medical organizations and, perhaps, part owner of a hospital. Currey continued geological work throughout the Southeast, perhaps occasionally as a paid consultant.

In 1857 Currey's son died, the Southern Journal folded, and his medical school disbanded. When Shelby Medical College opened in Nashville in 1858 and began publishing the Nashville Monthly Record of Medical and Physical Sciences, Currey became a professor at the school and coeditor of the journal. This time, Currey's family remained in Knoxville, and he soon left the college to return home.

In Knoxville again, Currey studied theology, received ordination, and in 1859 became pastor of Lebanon in the Fork Presbyterian Church. He also operated the distinctive Daughter's Collegiate Institute. To help young ladies learn more of human anatomy, Currey decorated the school grounds with nude statues, which were not widely appreciated. In 1861 Currey entered Confederate service as a chaplain surgeon. By 1865 he was caring for Union prisoners in North Carolina, where he died while working in a disease infested hospital.



Article in East Tennessee Society Publication Titled: “Richard Owen Currey, a little known intellectual figure of antebellum Tennessee” by J.X.Corgan Also by Corgan in History of Tennessee Medicine, Part IV, “Dr. Currey on iron, 1840.”



University of Nashville, MD Dissertations 1851-1859


Volume 18, 1858

Currey, George W.

Nashville, Tenn.

Puerperal Peritonitis.



From The Salisbury Prison by Louis A. Brown 1992


Algernon S. Currey


Algernon S. Currey was born in Nashville, Tenn., in 1820, son of Robert B. and Jane G. (Owen) Currey, who were born in North Carolina and Virginia respectively. The father was a farmer, and came to Tennessee with the noted Robertson family in 1790. His father was in the Revolutionary war, and was wounded at the battle of Guilford Court House, N. C. His father came from Belfast, Ireland, to the United States in 1727, and settled in Pennsylvania. Robert B. Currey was born in February, 1774, and was employed to lay off the city of Nashville, and was postmaster of the same in 1800, holding the office
until 1827. He was also mayor of the city for some time, and held that office during La Fayette's visit to the city. In 1827 he retired to his farm, and there remained until his death, in 1848. His wife died in 1867. Algernon S. was reared in the city of Nashville, and lived there with his father until twenty-one years of age. He then came to Trenton, Gibson Co., Tenn., and began the practice of law, continuing two years. He then followed teaching until the breaking out of the war, and in May, 1861, he organized Company F, Fourth Tennessee Regiment, and he was chosen first lieutenant. The company was reorganized at the end of one year, and our subject being unable for duty, he was sent to the hospital at Memphis. After his recovery he returned home, and did not again enlist, as he was over age. His last engagement was at Shiloh. He taught school in Trenton until 1865, when he located on his present farm, of 500 acres of well-improved land. He was deputy clerk for many years, before and after the war, and in 1870 was appointed superintendent of public instruction, and held that office for eight years. In 1842 he married Martha A. Nimmo, daughter of Allen C. and C. (Owens) Nimmo. Mrs. Currey was born in Tennessee, and has borne her husband seven daughters and four sons, all of whom are married and settled in life, and, like their parents, are honorable and useful citizens. Mr. and Mrs. Currey are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and he is a Mason, and was Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Tennessee one term. He is president of the Agricultural Wheel in this district, and is a staunch Democrat and an honest and trustworthy citizen. Goodspeed Biography

George Washington Currey

                 Author: Will T Hale.


                 George Washington Currey, M.D. Among the skilful and able physicians and surgeons that have honored the medical profession of Nashville, special mention should be made in this volume of the late dr. George Washington Currey, whose many years of varied practice in hospitals, on the field of battle, and in city and country, made his medical experience and proficiency much above the average. A native of Nashville, he was born on meridian hill, where his father, Robert Brownlee Currey, lived for many years.


                     Brought up and educated in the city of his birth, George Washington Currey was graduated from both the literary and the medical departments of the University of Nashville, and immediately began the practice of his profession in Nashville. In 1860 he removed to Memphis, this state, and at the breaking out of the War Between the States was made surgeon of the Southern Mothers hospital, and filled the position ably until the capture of Memphis by the enemy. Dr. Currey then went with the army to Georgia, and for a time was stationed at Ringgold, in charge of hospitals, all of which were later ordered to Newman, where he remained until the close of the conflict. Returning then to Nashville, the doctor was here successfully engaged in his professional labors until his death, at the age of sixty‑three years, on January 25, 1885.


   Dr. Currey married Emily Donelson Martin, who was born in Tennessee, a daughter of James Glasgow Martin, who was of early Virginia ancestry, and a pioneer settler of Nashville. Mr. Martin owned and operated a farm which was situated but one and one‑half miles from the hermitage, in a once famous neighborhood. He carried on general farming with slave labor, residing on the old homestead until his death, at the age of sixty-five years.Mrs. Emily Donelson Currey’s mother was Catherine Donelson, a daughter of john Donelson who married Mary Purnell, of snow hill, Maryland, and who were bride and groom on the flat boat "adventure" when the father of John Donelson, the elder lieut. Col. John Donelson made the famous voyage from the Watauga settlement down the Tennessee river up the Ohio and Cumberland, .bringing the settlers to the French salt lick, now the city of Nashville, in 1780.


                     Mrs. Currey's grandfather was a brother of Mrs. Gen. Andrew Jackson, her mother, Mrs. Jackson's niece. Mrs. Currey was reared within a mile of the 'hermitage' and was often a visitor there. Mrs. Currey survived her husband but a few years, passing away at the age of sixty‑eight years. She reared a large family of children, viz.: dr. Martin c., Mrs. Mary C. Dorris, Robert B. Currey, Andrew Donelson Currey, and George Ringgold Currey, now of Birmingham, Alabama. A daughter, Miss Jennie Currey, a talented singer, died at the age of nineteen years, and two children who died in infancy.


              A History of Tennessee and Tennesseans : the leaders and representative men in commerce, industry and modern activities by Will T. Hale Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1913


John Henry Currey


Bio from RootsWeb World Connect Project


He graduated from the University Of Nashville and received his medical education at The Medical Dept. of the University of Nashville and Shelby Medical College, which then stood on the site of the Custom House, He served in the Civil War as Assistant Surgeon of the Ninth Georgia Battalion of Artillery. At the close of the war he was on duty at Lee and Walker Hospital at Columbus, Georgia. He was appointed Assistant Postmaster in Nashville in June 1877 by his brother-in-law, Dr. W. P. Jones and later became Postmaster until 1889.


Obituary of John H. Currey, Nashville, TN

      John H. Currey, one of the best known and most highly esteemed citizens of Davidson County, passed away at his home in the Fifth District, six miles from the city, at 3:15 o’clock yesterday afternoon. At an early hour he was attacked by apoplexy, which was followed by a stroke of paralysis. Medical aid was quickly summoned, and everything possible was done, but without avail, and, surrounded by his wife and family, Dr. Currey passed quietly away.
      Dr. Currey was a native of this county, and had attained the age of 71 years. He was the son of Robert B. Currey, who was a leading man in the community, and his mother was formerly Miss Jane Gray Owen. Dr. Currey's father was at one time post-master of Nashville, being the fourth occupant of that office. He was himself postmaster of this city years ago, and discharged the duties of the position with great credit to himself and the department. He was a graduate from the University of Nashville in 1848, when only 17 years of age, and afterwards studied medicine at the same institution and the Shelby Medical College. On May 7, 1861, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary T. Eastman, daughter of Mr. E.G. Eastman, who was editor of the Union and American.     
      Dr. Currey entered the service of the Confederate Army as Surgeon of the Ninth Georgia Battalion of Artillery, and was stationed at Lee and Walker Hospitals, in Columbus, GA., when the ended. He was a member of Cheatham Bivouac of Nashville, and always took a great interest in the organization. In June, 1877, he was appointed Assistant Postmaster and filled this office until 1884. One year later he again became Assistant Postmaster under Gen. B.F. Cheatham, and in 1886, he was made Postmaster, which place he filled until September, 1899, when Maj. A.W. Willis succeeded him.
      Deceased leaves a wife and eight children, Messrs. Eastman G. Currey, L.R. Currey, M. Duncan Currey, and John H. Currey, Jr., Mrs. Lytton Taylor, Mrs. John A. Hitchcock, and Miss Lucy Currey. Dr. Currey possessed a genial disposition and made friends of all with whom he came in contact. His business ability was of a high order, and in all relations of life, he maintained a high standard. He was a devoted husband, and affectionate father, a true friend and neighbor and an exemplary citizen. His presence will be greatly missed, and the bereaved family has the deep sympathy of a host of friends in the loss they have sustained.
      The funeral will take place tomorrow morning, the interment being in Mt. Olivet, where services will be conducted at the grave at 11 o'clock. The pallbearers will be Capt. H.J. Cheney, Dr. J.M. McLaughlin, Dr. J.A. Beauchamp, Dr. Deering J. Roberts, Mr. Morton B. Howell, Mr. Benj. Turbeville, Mr. Edwin Fuller, and Maj. T.P.Weakley. The pall-bearers will meet at the family residence.


Elbridge Gerry Eastman


Elbridge Gerry Eastman was born in Bridgewater, New Hampshire, on Feb.27, 1813, the son of Timothy and Abigail Eastman. His educational advantages in early life were limited. Having been the inheritor of no fortune and dependent on his own exertions, he was in early life apprenticed to the printing business, a profession of which he was always proud. Having gone to Washington soon after he had reached manhood, James K. Polk (whose estimate of men was seldom at fault) discovered in him those evidences of intellect and character which since won him golden opinions from all honorable men. Mr. Polk invited him to Tennessee in 1839; and under Polk's auspices he established the Knoxville Argus, the publication of which Mr. Eastman always regarded as the most brilliant part of his editorial career. He evinced a talent for newspaper discussion of a high order, and was regarded as the leading democratic editor of East Tennessee until Colonel Polk was elected President when, to better his pecuniary condition, he accepted an office in Washington which he filled with credit to himself and the Department. His services were soon required, however, at Nashville; and he was called by the leading Democrats of the state to take charge of the Nashville Union Newspaper. ( A paper he would be owner of, in later years becoming the Nashville Union & American.) During the spirited contests of 1839, 1841, and 1844 he became celebrated for the terseness and pungency of his style and as a writer of vigorous and spirited paragraphs. Strong in all respects as an editor, in this rare quality he had few superiors and, perhaps, never an equal in Tennessee. His principal forte as an editor was his excellent judgment in determining the course and policy of his paper. His talents and usefulness were not confined to his politics. He was an ardent, earnest, working friend of agriculture and the mechanical arts. His reports, suggestions, and papers on these topics were public property; and were held in high esteem by those whose interests he thus labored to advance. In efforts to advance the cause of education and all public enterprises, he was equally zealous. He was a man of great candor, fairness, and sincerity. His political principals were matters of conscience with him. He was remarkable for his even temper and disposition...he had his likes and dislikes but was incapable of malice. As a friend, he was kind, confiding, and true. In his domestic relations (as husband and father), words can not express his tenderness. He appeared nowhere in a character as admirable as when surrounded by his family, in whom were all his pride and all his hopes. In 1849-1850, he was Clerk of the House of Representatives and of the Senate for one year 1853 for the 13th General Assembly, the 1st held in the present State Capitol building. He was editor of the Knoxville Argus, then of the Nashville Union; lastly of the Union and American. In 1855 Andrew Johnson, the re-elected Governor, named E.G. Eastman as Secretary of the Agriculture Bureau of Tennessee, he was an able and indefatigable promoter of Agricultural fairs throughout the state. He was an originator and active assistant in organizing "Loan and Building Associations"; and was always regarded as a friend of the mechanic and the laborer. At a large public meeting (held Nov. 24th 1859),called to express regrets of his fellow citizens (Mayor Hollingsworth),in the chair; Reverend  Dr. Hoyt and R.C. McNairy, Esq., as secretaries ,resolutions expressive of respect and sorrow were presented in glowing terms by Honorable Andrew Ewing; John Hugh Smith, Esq.; Honorable W. F. Cooper; Colonel G. C. Torbett; R .C. McNairy, Esq. ;and C. W. Nance, Esq . Similar action was taken in both the State Senate and the House of Representatives’, in the Masonic Fraternity; the Typographical Union; and in the Agricultural Bureau. Mr. Eastman left a widow who, before their marriage, was Miss Lucy Ann Carr of New Lebanon, Columbia County, New York. She married Mr. Eastman on October 11, 1832 ,at Baltimore, Maryland. He also left nine children of the ten born to him, these nine at present reside in or near Nashville; Daughters: Mary Tennessee now Mrs. Dr. J. H. Currey; Carrie C., now Mrs. W.M. Duncan; Lucy C, now Mrs. L.K. Hart; Sons: Charles H. William E. Lewis R. Elbridge G. Jr. John W. Roger Nashville would gladly welcome many such families from New Hampshire, or any other state. From the Tn. House Journal 1859,pg.280; Wed. Morning Nov.23,1859 On motion of Mr. Speaker Whitethorn, Mr. Lea in chair, The House, in token respect to the memory of E.G. Eastman, the Public Printer, adjourned until Friday morning 9o'clock. From State Journal Tn. 1859-60, pg 170; Wed. Nov. 23,1859 Mr. Payne, from his seat, announced the death of Maj. E. G. Eastman, one of the Printers for the State, and moved that the Senate adjourn till to-morrow morning @ 9 o’clock, as a token of respect to his memory. The motion prevailed, and The Senate adjourned till to-morrow morning 9 o'clock. Of Elbridge Gerry Eastman: The campaign between Cannon and Polk: The Whigs had been successful in the two gubernatorial campaigns of 1835 and 1837, as most of the newspapers in the state had become Whig papers. The Democrats enlarged the Nashville Union and made Jeremiah George Harris (previously a New Englander) editor of it. They also established E .G. Eastman, another New Englander, as editor of the Knoxville Argus. Both of these men were experienced and brilliant political promoters and writers; and were no small factors in achieving victory over strong odds.

Elbridge married GenealogyLucy Ann Carr daughter of Spencer Carr and Zylphia Goodrich on 11 Oct 1838 in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Lucy was born on 12 Jun 1818 in New Lebanon, New York, USA. She died on 26 Oct 1878 in Nashville, Tennessee, USA.



Militia Roster for Captain Williamson’s Company for 1812


Lists James Turbeville, Willis Turbeville, Benjamin Turbeville, and Isaac Currey. (I believe this Isaac Currey was the son of John Currey, brother of Ezekiel Currey. In documents in Davidson County, Robert Brownlee Currey sold land to Isaac Currey).




The Ulster Scots


“The Ulster-Scots chose the colony of Pennsylvania as their destination in the new world. When considering which colony to make their new homes in, the Ulster-Scots really had only limited choices. The southern colonies were not very enticing with their slave labor and plantation system of agriculture. Nor was Maryland because it had been established as a Roman Catholic colony. Although not Catholic, New York had made it clear to earlier immigrants that she would not tolerate religious diversity. Of all the choices between New England and Pennsylvania, the earliest immigrants had been made to feel unwelcome at Boston, the primary port of entry.. The single colony that welcomed the Ulster-Scots with open arms was Pennsylvania. As previously noted, Governor Dobbs of North Carolina invited fellow Ulster-Scots to settle in that colony, but that was only after Pennsylvania had become overly crowded with immigrants. In fact, that was one of the selling points the governor used to entice settlers southward from William Penn’s colony.”


Tombstone Inscription in Mill Creek Cemetery


Turbeville Died 1848

In Memory of W C Turbeville/ He died February 3rd/1848/Aged 53 Years and 3 Months/ Remember me as you pass by, as you are now so once was I, as I am now you must be, prepare for death and follow me.

Turbeville Born 1796 Died 1885

Mary B., wife of W.C. Turbeville, born Mar 4 1796, died July 8, 1885, age 89 years 4 months, 4 days, She was the crown of a blameless life.



A Description of the Currey House on Currey Hill


From the Nashville Daily News, May 25, 1902


Historic Ground and Glimpse of Some Notable Old Houses by Emma Lock Scott


"Though they beauty be gone, thy leaf in the sear,

 The wreath of the past still clings to thy brow."


In the old days, before the grim brand of war effectually effac­ed the old order of things, there were few more picturesque spots to be found in the city of Nashville than that portion lying in the immediate vicinity of what is now Fort Negley and the city reservoir. 'Shorn today of all its grandeur, the site gives little evidence of its former beauty, but the stately old mansions that once stood there­on still live in the memory of old Nashvillians, and the names of many of their occupants run down the years, through their descend­ants, to our own time.

"Currey Hill", them called Meridian Hill, because of early obser­vations taken there, rose in graceful even slope, to a height of 290 feet, and was surmounted by the handsome manor house, in ante­bellum style of Robert Brownlee Currey, early mayor of Nashville and postmaster of Nashville.

On the same hill, and at a few hundred yards distant, stood also the low, rambling home‑like residence of Dr. James Overton, who carried to his death the sobriquet of "Old Chattanooga", because of his warm advocacy in the forties of title "bold idea" of a railroad to connect Nashville to Chattanooga and the seaboard movement which like another of equal import, was compelled to run the gauntlet of ridicule, antagonism and apparent defeat before culminating in­to glorious realization.

Near the foot of the slope and to the right was the Berry resi­dence, in which for a long; term of years Dr. and Mrs. Berry conduct­ed a classical school for girls, A little farther away to the left was situated the "Boys' School presided over by Moses Stevens. Both of these schools were flourishing institutions, in a quiet way, and were regularly attended by‑ the children of the old families.

Sharply outlined against the south sky loomed the grey towers of the "lunatic hospital", so called in the state. Its two en­trances fronted east and west. From the latter a deep‑toned bell rung out the summons for admittance, through a gate‑way set with­in great walls, reaching to a height of ten feet, and enclosing the grounds, after the matter of a prison of the time.


The Old Fall Homestead


To the east, and opposite Meridian Hill through a long perspec­tive of verdant boughs nature was prodigal of her gifts in this section‑‑was seen the elegant home of Alex Fall, whose identification, and,‑: of Alex `all, whose identification, and that of his sons, with the hardware interest of the city is too well known to need repetition here. The Fall residence be­longed to a more recent style of architecture than the home pre­viously mentioned having been erected at a later period.

Adjoining this on the north side and now marked as the site of the Bible school was the Read homestead, erected by Judge Franklin T. Read. This is the only one of the group of interesting, old houses standing. For a term of years it was occupied by the fam­ily of Gen. Felix Zollicoffer, and it was here that the youngest daughter was born to the distinguished couple, whose birth occa­sioned the remark from the General, "Tis well enough; Zollicoffer is too ugly a name to be perpetuated."


Robert Currey was of Scotch extraction, but a north Carolinian by birth. He became a resident of Nashville in 1785, and for nearly half a century was prominently identified with the administration and promotion of Nashville’s public interest. He was in charge of the post office from 1801 to 1826, as an assistant or as of post­master, and was the first postmaster to employ a clerk. Postage was then reckoned by the number of sheets contained in a letter and paid for when the mail was delivered. It is a noteworthy fact that from Robert Currey's time up to the present day, some member of the Currey family has been continuously connected with this office.


As mayor of the city, on that never‑to‑be‑forgotten day of Gen. LaFayette’s visit to Nashville, in 1825, Robert Currey welcomed the great Frenchman to her doors, in a brief, but eloquent address, and entertained him at his home on College Street. Wearying of the city's close environment, a few years after this, he .elected Meri­dian Hill as the spot far a home in which to spend his declining years. His acreage there was numbered in the hundreds. The brow of the hill commanded a magnificent view of the city and the surround­ing country, an advantage, which alas proved her undoing. Her beautiful sloping sides embowered by nature with a wealth of forest monarchs and cedars of more than a century's growth, and embellished and adorned by the hand of man to a scene of indescribable beauty.


Description of the Currey House


            The house was built of brick, with wings extending from the cen­tral building, on each side, which gave it s most imposing appear­ance from the city. The main building contained some fifteen rooms or more, the carriage house, meat house, and numerous negro cabins standing In the rear. Massive stone steps led up to a front porch, upheld by Corinthian pillars, arched double doors opened into a middle hall, which extended the entire length of the building. In the spacious rooms, great; fireplaces, flanked by glittering brass fire dogs, sent out their glowing cheer of blazing logs and emphasized the generous hospitality of ante‑belle‑ days. The approach to the mansion was by a long curving driveway, overarched. with limbs of giant cedars. Bypaths intersected here and there and brought us to the flower pits, gay with bloom and heavy with fragrance, the just pride of the mistress of the house. Out of those beginnings, inaugurated for the home enjoyment and for very love of the beautiful creations, came the pioneer floral establishment of Nashville, established in later years by Geo. W. Currey, a son of the household and conducted until very recently in the Currey home.

            . At Robert Currey's death in 1846, the old homestead passed into the hands of his youngest living child and only living daughter, Jane, wife of Dr. Wm. P. Jones, whose residence there for several years will be recalled by many who are still living In Nashville.

            The Insane hospital alluded to was meanwhile abandoned .for a new one erected on the Murfreesboro Turnpike, and :with the appointment in 1862 of Dr. Jones, whose useful and honored life left its marked impression upon both State and community, As superintendent of the institution, the family removed thereto.

            With the entrance into the city of the Federals, shortly afterwards, the stately old mansion met its untimely fate of destruc­tion. Standing in the way of military operations, it was razed to the ground, and huge fortifications thrown up in anticipation of the approach from the South of Gen. Hood.

The adjoining comely residence of Dr. Overton suffered a like sacrifice and beautiful Meridian Hill became transformed, as if by magic, into a forbidding, grim, Fort Morton, under whose direction the work was accomplished.

Beautiful Home Despoiled

            Owning to its size and its situation between Fort Morton and Fort Negley, the Fall residence was particularly adapted to soldiers quarters, and for this purpose it was seized and used during the entire civil conflict. The place was widely known and greatly admired. The land had descended to Mrs. Fall from the broad acres her father, Judge Horton. The house was erected by Mrs. Fall and occupied the center of a five acre lawn, which was especially noted for its fine old elm and comfort within. Resplendent in that place of an ideal social life, whose echoes come down to us but seek their comfort in vain, its roof was the gathering place of the best in the city and its lawn the brilliant scene of many a notable event.

            With its seizure by the Federals, loop holes were made through the brick walls, breastworks were thrown up about the house, and the grand old elm hewn down. Ruin and despoliation reigned.

            Upon the return of the family at the close of the war, the damage to the place was repaired to the greatest extent possible; but the scars of the ravisher’s ax upon the lawn were beyond liberation. The grand old trees were gone.



The  following information was sent to this site by Rebel Star Buchanan Hobson. It is a letter sent by Algernon Sidney Currey to his wife while he was serving in the Confederate Army in 1862.


Columbus Ky., Jany 18th 1862
My Dear wife,
Your letter of the 11th (written Saturday night and received Tuesday morning after I had just finished one to send by Isaac Parker) was read with a great deal of pleasure by me. I read and reread it and every time could not restrain a laugh at the manner you ridiculed my culinary skill. You want me to send you a bite of my molasses custards so that you can enjoy a hearty guffaw at my expense and even hint by way of irony that you women, after the war, will surrender your prerogative in the kitchen to us men. In other words that you will secede and have us duly installed as "chief cooks and bottle washers," while you sit back in your easy chairs and with your native dignity and grace, pronounce our dainty meals to your company, as not fit to eat, when you know it is better than they are used to at home. This you will do to extort their encomiums, and then you will glide into the kitchen to tell us how this lady and that one praised our custards and how Mrs. ______, whom all the men admire, said, "They were the nicest she ever ate." With this kind of finesse, (soft solder), you expect to secure our continued services as your cooks, for you well know that if a woman's smile will make us fools, her compliments will make us slaves forever. But, my Dear, there is one serious obstacle in our being cooks after the war. We know how expert you ladies' are with the broom-handle and will dread its power upon our craniums. Have I again slandered your sex? If so, assemble a jury of the prettiest you can find, to try my case. I shall object to any sour, vinegar-faced Old Maid, who has lived just long enough in disappointment to despise the men. Read your charges of slander to such a fair Jury as this, and read, if you wish, this very intelligible letter to them, (for my admiration of one of their number has caused me to take much pains in its preparation,) and whatever their verdict may be, I will cheerfully submit to it. Perhaps, you would not be willing to risk me in the hands of such a Jury, but would prefer trying me yourself. In that event, I know that your partialities and affection will favor me, and that I will come off fully acquitted. Thus assured, I feel impatient to hear the sentence that you as my pretty little Judge, will pronounce against me. Let me hear it.

(Friday) Just here, I have had two interruptions to my letter writing, the last of which has changed my facetiousness into something more serious that I fear I cannot get into the strain again. I was busy preparing the above yesterday, intending it to contain my defense against your charge of slander, when "Company came in." This was the case last night, (Thursday night) as my visitors stayed all night. An old gentleman by the name of Chrisman was my bedfellow, and a very restless one at that. He was taken sick in the night, and rolled and turned about so much on my narrow bed, that he allowed me but very little room for sleeping. In addition to this, (I will say more of Chrisman after awhile.), I was aroused at 4 o'clock with orders to have the company ready at 8 in the morning with one day's (24 hours) rations for a march, which order was for the whole regiment. Of course it occasioned much surmise in the whole Reg't as to what route we would take and the general opinion prevailed that we were to be sent after a body of yankeys who were reported to be in our vicinity and that we would certainly have a brush with them today. No time to sit down then, to write a hurried note and inform you of what was going on or even to bid you any advice, but commending you and my precious family to God's protecting care, preparations were busily made for our mysterious and sudden march. I am truly glad now that the time was not afforded me to finish my letter, as it would have caused you very much uneasiness and anxiety about me, and besides I have just returned from our long and weary tramp through the snow, mud and slush, and in the same letter give you all the particulars of what we saw and did, and also that I am neither killed, wounded nor missing, but sitting safe and sound, by my cozy little fire, engaged in writing to my sweet wife and children, the pleasantness of the task more than counter-balancing the fatigue I have endured and now feel from a 12 mile walk. Captain White was sick and the command of the company devolved on me, and C,,A, being on picket duty, ours being not in order had to lead off at the head of our column. Our departure attracted much attention and gave rise to the prediction that the yanks would cut out (vamose) when the 4th Reg't is sent after them and there would be no fighting. This has usually been the case and was fully verified at Belmont and again today.

After marching 6 miles, nearly to Elliott's Mills, we were informed by those living on the road that the yanks had left a few hours before, apparently very much frightened, and stealing their horses and mules to ride; and taking some of the citizens back with them as prisoners. Our cavalry (4 companies) were sent 4 miles further on and ascertained that the enemy had made it in double quick to Blandville, 20 miles from here, where they had several thousand men and 12 cannon. Our force comprised only one Reg't and Col. Mark's (LA) Battalion-14 companies- together with the four cavalry Cos and no artillery. In all, scarcely 1200 men, and besides we only had rations for today and positive orders from Polk to return in 24 hours, whereas it would have taken at least another day to have gone to Blandville, whipped them out, and return to Columbus. I say confidently, whipped them out, because they were so much alarmed, that, not knowing our real strength, could easily have been stampeded. But under all these circumstances we took up the line of march back to camp, where I now have the pleasure of being comfortably quartered instead of spending the night in the rain upon the wet ground, as we expected to do. Many of the men gave out and stopped on the wayside to rest, but my indomitable perseverance and will bore me up without flagging in the least, though tonight I have been troubled with an acute pain on my left shoulder, caused by loss of sleep last night, and standing on the snow and the mud today waiting for the cavalry to reconsider. This was the most disagreeable part of our trip, for we were much heated by the walk, packing our arms, overcoats, blankets, provisions and etc. And, with wet feet, we soon became chilled when we stopped. But since I have been writing, the pain of which I complained has entirely left me. The warm fire has dried my feet, and but for the loss of sleep last night and fatigue today I would finish my letter tonight. But it is now late, all asleep but myself, and I must beg your kind indulgence until tomorrow (Saturday) when I may think of something fresh today. My letter will bear date tomorrow but you must understand that it was commenced Thursday and my tramp was on Friday, which I fear you may hear something about before getting this. Hence my anxiety to be ready for next mail. But good night it is now past 10 o'clock.

(Saturday morning)
Rained hard all night and pouring down this morning. Kitchen leaked badly, the stove pipe and stove full of water. Like most housekeepers wake up in a fret (no slander intended) at the poor prospect for breakfast. Did not scold, because I could not do the subject justice. John Nelson coughed, groaned, hawked and spit all night disturbing my slumber. No provisions to cook - all out - no fire to cook - the stove wet - and to add insult to injury the rain spattering on my paper while sitting by the window trying to write this particular sort of letter, which I wished to make plain enough for all to read, besides that Jury of fair ladies who are to try my case for slander before you as Judge.

Mr. Chrisman was an old acquaintance of Pa's and knew all his relations - his brothers and nephews and etc. Did you get the letter I sent by Mrs. Elder- If so, did you give Allen's passport to him and what has become of him. If you have not sent by Bradshaw yet for sugar and molasses, do not do so, as I will write to Wash to buy them for you. Bradshaw will want commission for his trouble or will charge some profit. Let me hear immediately so I can write to Wash or you write yourself inclosing $25 to him and ask him to send you bill. I received a letter from him and will and must answer it soon. Collect the notes on Love, Richardson, and Simmons and keep the money for further instructions. The Paymaster is to pay us Monday next, when I will send you four hundred dollars more to keep for me. I want to pay off some debts with this money but will not do so at present for a special reason. It may be necessary at sometime to remove you all to some place of greater security, should the enemy ever succeed in passing us, and I wish to be provided against every contingency. I am in that such a contingency may never arise - will sacrifice my life to prevent it - and if it never does, the money will be subject to my debts. But my family's safety is my first consideration, and all that I make - all that I do shall be sacredly devoted to that object. Remember your own safety and that of our children may someday depend upon it. You may all be fugitives for God only knows when and how the war may end, and the greater the means you have the less difficulty in your fight. No Yankee hireling must invade the sanctity of my home and my family subject to their mercy - for mercy they have none and neither do they respect age nor sex.

Adieu my dear wife, may God's blessing ever attend you and my beloved children. You have at all times my warmest affection and prayers.

Your Affectionate Husband,
A.S. Currey